IDH is committed to operating in a way that recognizes the interconnection between business growth and the needs of the communities it operates in. The Company provides free or discounted diagnostic services to thousands of people every year. In parallel, it collaborates with charitable organisations around the country to provide access to medical service, nutrition and education to hundreds of families in need, while also supporting the renovation and expansion of medical facilities around the country.
MOAMENA KAMEL FOUNDATION
Founded on the principle of providing quality medical assistance and services to better the lives of individuals and the community at large, IDH views corporate social responsibility initiatives as an extension of its core purpose, with the aim of improving the communities in which it does business.
The Moamena Kamel Foundation for Training and Skill Development was established in 2006 by Dr. Moamena Kamel, a Professor of Pathology at Cairo University, founder of IDH subsidiary Al-Mokhtabar Labs, and mother of the CEO, Dr. Hend El Sherbini. IDH commits up to 1% of the net after-tax profit of the subsidiaries Al Borg and Al Mokhtabar to the Foundation.
The Foundation focuses in particular on making a difference in the lives of residents of Cairo’s Al Duweiqa community, along with several other villages across Egypt. The Foundation deploys an integrated program and vision for the communities it helps that include economic, social and healthcare development initiatives with primary services that include:
- Female empowerment initiatives ranging from supporting Baheya Breast Cancer Hospital to providing loans for entrepreneurial women
- Free healthcare clinics
- Educational services for the children of Al Duweiqa community
- Providing food for families in need of such assistance
- Coverage of running costs for the ICU at Cairo’s public-sector Kasr El Aini Hospital
IDH has also been expanding the reach of its Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives in recent years to include:
- IDH in collaboration with the Egyptian Food Bank launched its Food Program & Nutritional Support initiative providing suitable nutritional components to the families in need in various marginalized areas. IDH employees supported in the distribution and packing of the nutritional boxes. The programme has so far supported more than 103 thousand people.
- In collaboration with Misr Elkheir, IDH distributed nutrition boxes to families impacted by the floods in Upper Egypt. In total, 32 thousand people benefitted from the programme, which saw 13 IDH employees directly involved.
- Financial and in-kind support for under-privileged families across Greater Cairo and Upper Egypt regions.
- Financial and in-kind support to the Egyptian people during natural disasters.
- Ramadan Iftar (feast) meals to underprivileged Egyptians during the holy month of Ramadan. During the 2022 holy month, IDH partnered with both the Egyptian Food Bank and Misr Elkheir to distribute Ramadan food boxes. In total, more than nine thousand boxes, helping to cater to the nutritional needs of more than 45 thousand people. The Company also organised a community Iftar for the residents of Ahalena Elderly day care house.
- Starting in October 2022, IDH has launched its Etameny campaign to provide women around Egypt with nutrition packages, raise awareness on the importance of correct nutrition, and improve households’ food security. More than two thousand women have benefitted from the programme.
- On the women empowerment front, IDH continues to provide psychological and medical support to thousands of women each year. Efforts range from free medical exams for women suffering from breast cancer, to organising awareness campaigns on the role of women in science and supporting women going through challenging medical treatments.
- IDH has also been actively supporting healthcare awareness efforts across its markets of operation. Efforts on this front include organising and sponsoring a wide range of awareness events aimed both at the general public as well as to IDH’s staff. During 2022, more than 350 people participated in awareness events organised by IDH.
- IDH’s other social development and inclusion initiatives have included partnerships with Elsondos People with Disabilities Orphanage, Rotary NGO, and Al Asmarat Medical Center. Through these partnerships, IDH provides free and discounted medical tests to underprivileged Egyptians in need.
- In December 2022, IDH launched its Winter campaign aimed at providing unprivileged children with winter supplies to keep warm in the colder months. More than 400 children benefitted from the scheme.
- Financial support to unemployed citizens as part of the Egyptian government’s Covid-19 response plan.
- Through its project “Thank you”, the Company offered discounts on Covid-19-related tests for medical personnel to help frontline workers during Covid-19 crisis. The programme provided discounted tests to more than 17 thousand healthcare workers.
- During 2022, IDH also supported travelers going to perform Hajj, providing them with discounted PCR testing.
- Additional services to Kasr El Aini Hospital that include providing medical supplies to the ICU and other units; monthly incentives for nurses in the ICU; and 12-20 hospital beds; donation of medical devices and equipment to the ICU and kidney dialysis units.
- Financial and in-kind support to El Manial Hospital.
- Financial and in-kind support to Cairo University’s hospitals.
- Financial and in-kind support to Abbassia Fever hospital.
- In cooperation with Maxim foundation, Al Mokhtabar supported the renovation of the paediatric section in El Abasseya chest hospital helping to expand the hospital’s capacity.
- IDH, in collaboration with Ibrahim Badran Foundation, has for years been providing high-quality medical support for more than 11 thousand patients through 149 conveys with the participation of volunteers from IDH staff.
- In 2022, the Company also supported Asuit University medical convoys to the students at Al Shahid school and provided tests to students in rural areas. In total more than 40 students benefitted from the scheme.
- Through the International Medical Laboratory Scientists (ASCPi-MLS) Training Program launched in collaboration with the American University in Cairo, IDH has provided 84 chemists and technicians through six training cycles with key training in the fields of haematology, chemistry, microbiology, and blood banking. The Company also offered on-the-ground training inside IDH laboratories, and aided in the candidates receiving their American Society of Clinical Pathology certificates.
- Sponsorship of events organised by the Egyptian Paralympic Committee.
- Strict adherence to government guidelines for the treatment and disposal of medical waste.
- Across IDH’s HQ and Mega Lab, the Company has installed recycling machines, enabling employees to recycle plastic bottles in return for prizes and giveaways.